Using the Exercises:
These exercises were designed for use in a group setting during a course. For website uses this may not be possible. However you can easily adapt the exercises to your circumstances. Here are some suggestions:
- Do the exercises with your partner or a friend.
- Do the exercises (and the whole course) with a church small group.
- Do the exercises with a friend by email.
- Do the exercises with a friend by phone.
- If you have no-one then contact us and we will se what we can do about it.
The important thing to remember is that these exercises are the most important part of the course. You cannot learn to hear God's voice by reading about it. You must actually do it. And it is necessary to do it initially with someone else so that you can be sure you are not kidding yourself about what you hear.
Listening Exercise 1 - Meditation on a Bible Passage:
- Find a quiet place. Sit quietly for a few moments. Thank the Lord he is with you and wants to speak to you. If you are troubled by thoughts or burdens consciously lift them up to God and leave them with him.
- Acknowledge the presence of the Holy Spirit in you. Tell him you want to hear what God wants you to know. Invite him to speak to you.
- Some people respond to words, others to pictures. Do not be worried or concerned if you find it hard to 'hear' anything during this session. But do try - don't use this as an excuse.
- Read Psalm 103:1-5 slowly, taking each phrase, responding as you feel the truth of what it says. Think of what it reveals to you of God's character and allow him to speak into any needs you may have and touch you with his love. Do not try to analyse the passage - that would be your thoughts rather than God's.
- Record in your journal anything he says, or anything you 'see' or feel, and your response to it.
Repeat this exercise regularly, using your favourite short Bible passages, or any other passage the Lord might lay on your mind.
1 Praise the LORD, O my soul;
all my inmost being, praise his holy name.
2 Praise the LORD, O my soul,
and forget not all his benefits -
3 who forgives all your sins
and heals all your diseases,
4 who redeems your life from the pit
and crowns you with love and compassion,
5 who satisfies your desires with good things
so that your youth is renewed like the eagle's