Listening Exercise 4 - Meditation on a Flower:
- Go into a garden where there are flowers, or a room where flowers are in a vase. Choose a flower. You may pick it or leave it in place.
- Acknowledge the presence of the Holy Spirit in you. Tell him you want to hear what God wants you to know. Invite him to speak to you through the flower.
- Some people respond to words and ideas, others to visual stimulation, or to music and sound. Do not be worried or concerned if you find it hard to 'hear' anything during this session. But do try - don't use this as an excuse.
- Look closely at the flower, responding as you feel the truth of what it says to you. Think of what it reveals to you of God's character, or something about yourself, and allow him to speak into any needs you may have and touch you with his love. Do not try to analyse the flower or the ideas it conveys - that would be your thoughts rather than God's.
- Record in your journal anything he says, or anything you 'see' or feel, and your response to it.
Repeat this exercise regularly, using your favourite flowers or trees, or a beautiful view. You may also like to try it with your favourite music.
It is best to find a real flower for this exercise, but if that is not possible perhaps these will do...
The above photographs were taken and produced by Mal Austin, and used with his permission. Mal's business, Givenworks, is dedicated to bringing glory to God. More of Mal's powerful and beautiful pictures, posters and greeting cards can be obtained directly from Givenworks or from your favourite Christian bookshop.
These photographs were also taken and produced by Mal Austin, and are used with his permission. Visit Mal's Givenworks website to see more of Mal's powerful and beautiful pictures, posters and greeting cards. They can be obtained directly from Givenworks or from your many Christian bookshops.
Visit some of our other websites:
Williamstown Baptist Church and Beth Tephillah Ministry Centre.
God Loves Us - Australia, God Really Loves Us!
Healing Prayer Ministries Network - networking Christian prayer ministry centres and prayer ministry training organisations
Healing Prayer Ministry Search Engine
Christian Mysticism Search Engine
Prayer Counselling - A definitive guide to prayer counselling, prayer ministry, Christian counselling, and healing ministry
Speak in Tongues - For those who want to learn how to speak in tongues, and how to use this gift in ministry.
Burden Bearer - How to be a burden bearer and not get sick.
A Reasonable Mystic - How to be a mystic and not lose your reason.
Intimacy with God.net - The world's Greatest Lover is calling you!
The Blog Works - Learn to build a better blog.
Controversial Christian - A website for those who think Christians argue too much!
Dark Night of the Soul - The way up when all is black. About burnout, depression, and when God seems absent.
Mal's Meanderings - Mal Dow's blog about Christian living, ministry, future and emerging church, theology, philosophy, and effective Internet use.
The Roaring Mouse - The Roaring Mouse.
Roaring Mouse Counselling
Malcolm Dow Dot Com - Malcolm Dow - the Roaring Mouse's autobiographical blog
New Spirit - I will give you a new heart and put a new spirit in you - Ezekiel 36:26
See what's new in the Listening 2 God Blog: